Monday, May 14, 2007

Singin' on the street, at night.

The most incredible thing about rolling karaoke at the valley is the spontaneity of the patrons. They have no "egos" and consequently are ready to try anything new. It's so great!!
We found out the cordless microphone works from outside the building and the customers inside can hear the singer/or speaker perfectly well. We tested this for an hour or so, (the smokers LOVE it, they can smoke and sing their song). The concept of being "outside" lookin' in at the words on the screen seemed to erase the singers inhibitions too.
They were emoting better and adding a shimmy or a gyration to the song-I noticed a few cars slowing down to watch or see what was going on here, and the smokers were egging the singers on..... We rolled 12 songs this way until a police car pulled in, parked and watched.....the officers rolled down the windows and watched.....
Smokers put out their cigarettes and started hitting the door, my singer at the time Ralphy was intent on his lyrics and dancing a bit, when one of the last smokers to hit the door, grabbed his jacket and pulled him inside. Ralph didn't miss a cue, he glanced at the police car, opened his eyes wide and danced into the bar to finish his song with a little dip at the end. I got a little tip about the bar attracting the wrong kinds of customers/slowing down traffic/being a nuisance (isn't that what they pay me for?) and tried to talk a police officer into singing a song-"I shot the Sherrif" anyone? (On duty My EYE, he was a blue Chicken!)
Sue Sawyer, My Guardian Angel, wrote an article for the karaoke paper about the Valley Tavern-it just cracks me up!! And my patrons feel famous! Read that here:
http://www.nwkaraokeguide.net/2007%20Files/may07/ValleyPub.php
Great article by a great lady, I'll have to remember not to get her a beer the next time she comes out.
On Tuesday night at Lil' Vic's Midland Tavern some of my former singers from Pacific Lanes have been finding me and coming in to sing with us. We've had Julie, Dawn, Jim W., Sopi, Rico,
Donna, Candy, Kym, Ginny, Carl, Richard, Robert, Mike, Howie, and those are just the ones I can remember right now. We are trying to get Simon, who runs the store across the street, to sing just one song.....soon, It will happen soon and then he'll be hooked for life.
Mr. Lonny sings a mean spoof of Nirvana, had the pool players hootin' and hollerin'.....until they realized it was Weird Al, and kids on bikes parked across the street to listen to him sing. He does a great job on those songs because he enjoys them so much.
I'll type in more later, it's time for my Bubble Bath.